My whole new version of nutella pinwheel cookie…it’s nutella brownie with hershey! I didn’t do this on purpose. To make long story short, the dough was too soft and I can’t roll it, so I spread nutella on top of the dough and baked it. Then I sprinkled hazelnuts and form a zigzag with a hershey syrup. Genius or I’m just really good in covering things up?? HA!
But seriously this is my real Nutella pinwheel looks like:
That’s messed up. I know! And I am not embarrassed at all. I know baking is not my expertise but at least I tried! And I will never stop trying. Maybe I will make something different next time, maybe something very simple to make. I was inspired to make this because the pinwheel cookies that Shaheen made looks very enticing. And I thought I can make a pinwheel that would also look like that. But I forgot I don’t know anything about baking. So sad. But hey, If I didn’t try this, how would I know and I wouldn’t discover Nutella brownie. So it’s 50-50 😀
Anyhow this is the recipe via purple foodie.
125g / 1 stick butter, softened
½ cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 heaped cup sifted flour
¼ cup Nutella to spread, a little more won’t hurt, but be careful not to overdo lest it ooze!
2-3 tablespoon, toasted, chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 175C/350F.
- Mix the butter and sugar together till creamy.
- Mix in the egg yolk and the vanilla essence. The mixture should be light and well combined.
- Stir in the flour and refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes so that it can firm up and facilitate easy rolling.
- Next, roll out the dough into a rectangle of ¼ inch thickness.
- Spread the Nutella making sure to leave one finger space on all four sides. Again, we don’t want the Nutella to ooze out!
- Sprinkle over the chopped hazelnuts and roll up the dough.
- Refrigerate for another ten minutes before cutting the slices.
- Lay the slices on a lined baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes till slightly golden at the edges. Baking time will vary depending on how thick you’ve cut them. Colour is a good indication.